Friday, June 11, 2010

On trust.

Is it better to trust too much, or not at all?
There are some who would say I trust too much.  Too easygoing, too trusting of people.  There are those who tell me I'll get hurt one of these days when I find out that I can't trust everyone.  I'm one step ahead- I already know I can't trust everyone.
But I do anyway.  Funny, isn't it.  For the most part, I give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
I know people who trust nobody.  Nothing.  Not even banks, not even people they know well.  They're too afraid to let anyone inside because of.......what?  What are they so afraid to keep a secret that they'll do everything except bar themselves up behind a brick wall?
Everyone has secrets.  Everyone's afraid.  So why the paranoia?
My sister and I.  Twins, but as different as can be.  She goes to bed at 8, knits, and does nothing simply for herself.  Denies herself everything she might find enjoyable.  I don't understand it.  She doesn't easily let people in.  Just closes them out.  And me, I trust too much.
I'm afraid but not paranoid.  Is that what we've come to- that we're afraid to talk to people, let other people inside and be part of our lives?  If we were living in the middle of the desert we'd be dead by the end of a month because we depend so singularly on ourselves.
Nobody knows how to ask for help these days.  Everyone thinks they can handle it on their own.  Yeah, maybe that which doesn't kill you only made you stronger.  But if you don't feel like you can even swallow your pride enough to ask for help- then was it really worth it?
Personally, I need to be around people.  I love to be around people.  I'm ridiculously social and don't like being alone for long periods of time.  I couldn't live out in the middle of nowhere.  Through my own trials and errors I've learned the benefits of having a large social group.  Like what, you might ask.  How about absolutely no marked symptoms of clinical depression aside from my normal sarcastic bitchery?
Yeah.  No depression.  Better overall physical health.  No colds, no coughs, nada - zip - zilch - nyet - NEIN.  I concentrate better.  I laugh more.  I cry less.
I still feel sad at times, but I know I have people that I can actually trust to help get me through whatever issue I face.
"This world keeps spinning faster into a new disaster- so I run to you, I run to you."
Take the risk of trusting someone.  Strike up a conversation with that random person on the bus or in the elevator.
You might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.