Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Facebook page hits international news"

Last Saturday, a Nanaimo woman named Kimberly Furnell created a Facebook page called "please don't jump".  The page was created in response to a picture on the Postsecret website, http://www.postsecret.com/.  The picture in question was from a person living in San Francisco- and plans to jump off of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.  Since then, over 50 000 people have joined the group.  Myself included. 50 000 people.  In only a week.  Begging a complete stranger - who none of us even know the name of due to Postsecret's anonymity- not to jump.  Makes me think.

Is everyone else as tired of all the sadness today as I am?  Sure seems like it, and it's about damned time.  Too many people have died with their hurt left unsaid.  Too many people have taken their own lives because they felt useless and hopeless and nothing would ever get better.
Enough's enough.
Let's try and save at least this one person.

I took a long walk today.  Woke up at 5am and left with my sister when she drove to work, then walked home.  Took me an hour and a half and I was thinking about this the entire way.  It was cloudy and drizzling a little bit, but now I look outside my window and I can see blue sky fighting its way through the gray.  Never thought walking in the rain might actually be a nice thing to do.

"Life is beautiful- there are miracles, miracles."

Should you happen to read this - whether you're the person who wants to jump, or the person who's never considered jumping, or if you're having a bad day or even a great one - know one thing.
I don't know you.  But I love you.
Don't give up, because things will get better.  When you've hit bottom, the only place you can go is up, so don't you ever lose hope.
You are alive.  And you are loved.
Everyone has their secrets.  Don't let your pain be one of them.  People are weird sometimes but trust me, you WILL find someone who cares.  Don't even have to look too far.
Take a deep breath.  The trick with that, though, is that once you've breathed out, it's usually pretty useful to remember to breathe in again.  So just breathe.

Whoever you are, and wherever you may be, I am begging you.  Please don't jump.

"You jump, I jump, remember?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.