Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the election, school, and life in general.

"Where were you on the day Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States?"
I have a feeling that I'm eventually going to be asked this. I was at UNBC, meandering around by the cafeteria before class. I noticed a group of people watching the TV in the commons and thought I'd have a look. What we were all watching was Barack obama as he made his inaugural speech. I got the feeling of witnessing a huge turning point- like I was actually part of history now. I can now tell my kids, if I ever have them, that I witnessed the first black President- something I honestly never thought would happen, not in my lifetime at least. This feels big. Bigger than big.
I'm actually at school right now. I'm in the library, having just completed a library assignment for my International Studies class. It's funny- I came to UNBC thinknig I would pursue a major in English...now I'm starting to think that maybe I could change my major. Maybe not now- heck, this is my first semester ever at UNBC- but maybe eventually. Today's Green Day at UNBC. There are tables set up everywhere, promoting environmental awareness, and there's even a disgustingly looooooooong string of paper cups hung up all around the university. This thing is long, long, LONG. I passed a sign that said at least 2000 paper cups are thrown out each week from UNBC alone. Makes me want to start bringing my mugs in more often. There's even a little station where you can figure out your carbon footprint.
Life in general is....well, just life-ish. Can't really complain much about it. My efforts at Mandarin are coming along slowly, oh so slowly, but surely. I can recognize quite a few words, more than I thought I knew. I'm still not working on reading/writing yet. All in good time. Still single, still looking for a job- yet the being single isn't bothering me so much anynmore, and I know it's just a matter of time before I get callbacks. PG's been hit kind of hard by the recession, so nobody's really hiring. People are trying to keep their staff, rather than hire new people. Good for them, but not so good for me. I hate not having a job. It's boring and makes me feel useless.
I played Scrabble at the Timmy's on Massey yesterday with a friend and got my head handed to me on a silver platter. Haven't played Scrabble in forever- he whipped me! I groused at him a bit. He plays by the rules. For as long as I can remember, my sister and I have only ever had one rule regarding games:
"Whoever cries first, loses."
We get violent when we play Monopoly. MONOPOLY!
You should see us play Spoons- there's bloodshed. We stack the spoons, grab them all and fling all of them except for the one we need, swipe them out of the way, the list goes on. We stack them for the maximum amount of blood shed when you try to grab one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.