Tuesday, November 23, 2010

class discussion on virtue ethics.

Got my lazy ass out of bed this morning to trudge my way up the hill in this godforsaken cold weather to make my 8:30am ethics class on time.  (Warning: As I type this I've just polished off my second cup of coffee.  Coffee makes me jittery and unable to be coherent especially in the case of typing.)  The prof, Oscar Clemotte, begins discussing virtue ethics and the building of virtuous characteristics from day one rather than just adhering to a moral code "because it's good".  If you're raised learning things that are inherently good (that is, good in and of themselves) then moral issues ought to be much easier for you to deal with.

One thing we talked about was characteristics that are considered to be virtues.  Benevolence, Truthfulness, etc.  Also wisdom.  Oscar then asked us who we thought the virtue of wisdom could apply to.  Some people replied that usually only older people were deserving of the virtue of wisdom.


So, by that reasoning, wisdom only comes with age?  I don't think so.  Not necessarily.  I think that wisdom comes from life deciding to play some hardball with you and you have to either play along or lose entirely.  You're defined not by what happens to you, but how you deal with it.  You don't lose for falling; you lose by not getting back up.  I'm sure I can think of some people significantly older than I am who are, decidedly, not that wise.  I can think of some people younger than me who know more than I can possibly understand at this point in time.


Human beings are rational.  Survival instincts tell me I must avoid pain at any costs.  But rational thinking tells me that without the suffering, you can't appreciate the good things in life.  Conversely, if all you know is the good, then when you're faced with suffering you have absolutely no weapons to fight it with.  Ever been hit and steeled your nerves for the next blow?


Maybe I'm wise.  Really, I doubt it.  I just know that my mind feels older than my years and I'm as confused about life as you can be and still be declared mentally stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.