Thursday, July 17, 2008

blast and smite thee, wanderlust!

Dang wanderlust. I want to go everywhere. I find myself daydreaming of other countries, other places, other smells, sights, textures, tastes, etc. I find myself dreaming of people in marketplaces, carrying children, following relatives and friends, agruing over the price of spices, fish, fruit, rice. Pretending to look shocked and dismayed at high prices and mercilessly arguing to get their way. Weddings. Funerals. Birthdays. Ordinary school days. The faithful on their way to worship. New friends getting to know each other, old friend laughing uproariously as they look back on old memories. My friends.
Something tells me I'm going to be damned hard to pin down, simply because I want to see everything first. I want to go, meet those people, speak their language, hear them laugh and slap their knees as I tentatively try a new, strange dish. I want to kick around a soccer ball with their kids, congratulate them on marriages and old age and kids who've been raised well. How am I going to be able to stay in any one country, stay there for the rest of my life? I can't even stay inside my own house if I see as much as a single ray of sunshine. I look at my pictures and it makes me hungry for more. I want to go everywhere that people say not to go because it's not worththe trip; I want to prove them wrong, and then come back....and quietly keep my secret until I can pass it on to the right person, who won't pass it on thoughtlessly to everyone and spoil the secret.
Why? I think a place that, having gone to you deem as amazing and worth going to, is worth keeping a secret. The experience is so much better that way. You may not have been the first tourist in that area, but chances are there've been very few. Your experience'll be that much more true than if you'd gone to a much more heavily-touristed area.
I want to go everywhere. I want to see everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.