So. I'm in Thailand now, and after three days everything's okay except for a sunburn. I just had dinner- guay-tiew nam with LOTS of chilli vinegar. Aroy JANG! :) I'm a my hotel, drinking Pepsi out of a bag, sitting at the computer and firing off emails and such to people, and smelling of Citra. It's been hot as blazes here- I got a bit of a burn and I've been people have been saying "naa daeng" to me, so I guess it looks pretty red. Yesterday I "played" a festival called Songkran- it's like a BIG water fight and it's so much fun! I was walking(or rather, squishing) my way down the street to the next batch of people and cars, and I noticed a police officer waving me over- the Thai-style palm-down wave. So I walked over to him and he said "oh, farang!" Turns out he thought I was Thai- him and about 500 other people! I went for a bit of a walk today over to a certain coffee shop I know, and when I walked in the lady inside gave me a quizzical look. After about two seconds her eyes went wide and she said "areeya!" It was my own dear p'Lek! Pare, Mook, Mamee, Paw, and Proy have all gone to Japan for a bit, so they weren't there. I miss them! I'll get to see them when they come back. Thank god people aren't saying I'm a farang kee nok. I think I'd die if they started saying that about me! I've surprised a lot of people with my Thai. Today I was on a motorcycle taxi and a motorcycle with three Thai teenagers on it pulled up beside the taxi. They saw me and saw my red legs and started saying "wow, a red farang, look at that burn" and then looked at me again. I rolled my eyes and said "len songkran" and the guy on the back said in a loud whisper "oy! poot thai dai loh?" I rubbed my arm and said "piu na-gliart" and we all laughed.
Plans for tomorrow: check out, go to Bangkok, possibly get phone in Bangkok, meet with p'Pop and Ranee at Starbucks @ noon @ Central Pinklao.
I think I'm off to bed- I need to go have a shower and do a bit of knuckle-scrubbing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a question or just something to say? Leave one.